Vinogradi Urosevic Winery Banostor

Vinogradi Urosevic Winery Banostor

“Urosevic Vineyards” is small family run winery in Banostor village on Fruska Gora Mt, which is over 100 years engaged in the production of grapes and excellent wines. Banostor village is lovely and nicely appointed “wine village“of Fruska Gora Mountain on the gentle slopes fully exposed to the Danube River, 28 km away from Novi Sad and some 85 km from Belgrade. With the ferry across the Danube River one quickly gets to Bačka Palanka, with less than 15 km to reach the border with Croatia. The earliest mention of a wine cellar on the site of today’s wineries and wine cellar of Urosević Family dates from 1905. Vineyards and the winery of Urosevic family in Banostor village spread over 5 hectares of fertile land under cultivation of Italian Riesling, Rhine Riesling, Cormorant, Cabernet Franc, Franconia, Slankamenka, Zupljanka and Merlot sorts. The area where Urosevic vineyards are situated is bordered on one side with the Danube River, and on the other side with the slopes of the Fruska Gora mountain which along with the relief, climate and suitable soil make ideal conditions for growing of high quality grapes. That is the reason for several successful small wineries in Banostor village that by their excellent wines and cordial hospitality provide true impression of this Fruska Gora and Srem wine region. The climate of the Fruska Gora and Banostor area where the winery Urosevic is located is characterized by uniform temperature fluctuations, and sun reflection coming from the Danube water that greatly contribute to the favors and cultivation of a number of grape varieties. Thanks to those factors, it has been said that wines from Banostor are “wines of two suns“.

The Banoštor village on the Danube has very interesting past which is hardly and insufficiently known. Thanks to dedicated researchers of the Serbian history we learn on numerous historical records and facts that are worth examining, among which are legacy and records of the Orthodox theologian and historian Radoslav Grujic, whom we are grateful for retrieval of the earthen remains-relics of Tsar Dusan and rescue of the relics of King Lazar and King Uros from destruction of Ustashas. Grujić says : ”As per letters of Pope Innocent III from 1198 and 1204 we learn that in Srem at that time was only one monastery that performed the Latin service. That was the Kew Monastery, later named the Monastery of Ban – banov manastir – Bani monasterium, whose name is still preserved in the name of the Banostor village on the Danube, above Cerevic. This monastery was erected by the Serb Beluš, the famous ban of Croatia and the Palatin of Hungary (1142-1163), the son of grand zhupan-lord Uroš I. He dedicated the monastery to the Holy archdeacon and first-martyr Stephen – protector of the Serebian rulers of the later Nemanjic Dynasty and had arranged it for 30 Benedictine monks. At the end of the third decade of the 13th century in 1229 the Pope ordered the newly established Roman-catholic Bishopric of Srem to be placed in this monastery with the possible aim – si fieri potest – to turn ”the Slavs and the Greeks” settled in the Srem area into the Latin service and obedience to the Roman church as this is especially needed for the glory of the Apostle church”. “This is in regard with the time before the rule of the Nemanic Dynasty and prior to activities of Saint Sava, when the Ban Vukanović was of high dignity – his mother was Ana Diogen – grand daughter of the Roumenian tsar Constantine Diogenes and his sister Jelena was queen of Hungary, while his brother was ruler of Serbia – Uroš II Primislav. Attention on this should be stressed given that the Serbs before the rule of the Nemanic Dynasty had rulers who were in familiar relations with the Romelia-Byzantine royal family…… The evidences from the latest research prove that the real split between the Eastern and the Western church did not happen in 1054, but it was only in 1204 with the insidious attack and plunder of Constantinople-Tsarigrad. From this fact it is clear that before 1204 all the churches were Orthodox – rightful religion, with the Pope who nominally recogized the Roumeli tsar and the ecumenical council until that year. The Ban Beloš was the ”Hungarian palatin” as his sister Jelena was the Hungarian queen. The name itself of ”Uroš” is actually the Hungarian noble title that was later accepted by the members of the Nemanic Dynasty, and meant the possessions in Hungary with the right for inheritance of the throne”. Miloš Stanić

In Urosevic family wines are produced in generations with secrets, dedication, concerns and benefits of growing grapes and producing fine wines, that made it the family heritage. From arts, love, commitment and great work which is transmitted from generation to generation are created high quality table wines, enjoyed by all who taste: Italian and Rhine Riesling, Rose, Cabernet Franc and Cormorant, and dessert red wine Bermet which is typical for the area of Fruska Gora Mountain. There is some data that says that Bermet wine was served on the famous Titanic. One of the most notable feature of the Urosević is grandfather Milan – the oldest member of the family who stands up for diligence, wisdom, beauty and joy, happy that younger generations inherited those virtues, respecting the same way the viticulture and tradition of wine production on the Urosevic family. Grandfather Milan is the main host and best organizer of making great brandy from grapes, apricots, pears and plums for family needs, which is a beautiful tradition in Srem and Serbia, and remains in a long memory!

In addition to wine production, “Vineyards Urosevic” Winery is successful in wine tourism to the joy and satisfaction of many visitors. Beautifully decorated wine cellar of the family Urosevic in Banostor village has a capacity of 30000 liters, and includes a winery and a nicely appointed wine tasting hall which accommodates 30 people. Wine tasting room is decorated in traditional style of Srem – beautiful brick tile stove, hand-embroidered items with wine details, old agricultural tools to work in the vineyard, grill and oven in which the friendly host prepare finest food with a specific enjoyment, to serve his guests bowl of game and other types of meat or slowly cooked dishes, old cupboard with natural jams produced from organic apricot and plum, which go best with donuts, pancakes and other food that is served with wine ….. In addition to an indoor hall for wine tasting during the winter months, Urosevic winery has an open terrace with capacity of 30 people where visitors enjoy the unique tastes and smells during the summer and autumn while enjoying in magic panorama of the Danube River. All the food offered by Urosevic family is locally grown and prepared in the traditional way of Srem, according to old family recipes that are passed down through generations. Here visitors will be welcomed with uniquely delicious, simple dishes of Srem – Srem sausage, beef or chicken goulash with homemade dumplings, fish soup with freshly caught Danube fish, venison stew with homemade noodles, donuts, noodles with poppy seeds, corn cake, pancakes, Serbian famous cookies called „vanilice” and “salenjaci”, “paws”… When visitors have more time available, it is possible to spend all day in the nature of Fruska Gora and the Danube on the boat, or, if they want, hard-working hosts are proud to organize a visit to the vineyard with tractor ride, picking up grapes /seasonally / or work in the vineyard, traditional grape crushing and traditional outdoor lunch …. the grape harvest in the vineyards Urosevic and related operations that provide unique experiences and allow visitors unforgettable impressions, directly exploring the well-preserved traditions and customs … Urosevic family from Banostor village in Srem of north-west Vojvodina does everything to take advantage of the privileged position that nature provides them, to grow good grapes and produce fine wines, but also to share with other people the rich viticulture experience and the innate cordiality.