Sisojevac Monastery

Sisojevac Monastery

Sisojevac Monastery, dedicated to the Holy Transfiguration, is located in the village of Sisevac, beside the spring of Crnica River. Monastery was probably built in the eight decade of the 14th century, to be first mentioned in 1398 in the charter of Princess Milica to the monk Sisoje, who was attributed the founder of Sisojevac Monastery.

In terms of architecture, Sisojevac Monastery belongs to the Morava School of architecture, featuring trefoil base, without decorative elements on the facade, usual for the Morava School of Architecture. The naos of the Monastery is divided into three traveys, with the dome above the central part and the square-shaped narthex. Each of three apses are seven-sided on outward and semicircular inward. The facade of Sisojevac Monastery is adorned with blind arcades and the cornice, leaning on the simpe consoles.

The Church of Sisojevac Monastery was outwardly plastered and decorated with paintings. Frescoes, that according to the depicted portrait of Despot Stefan Lazarević date from the period after 1402, are preserved in fragments. Scenes from the Old Testament are painted in the altar. In the naos of the Sisojevac Monastery Church one can discern the scenes of the Christ Miracles, Parabollas, standing Saint Warriors and Saints, depicted in medallions. In the eighties of the 20th century the central part of the Sisojevac Monastery Church was restored, while in 1993 its narthex was reconstructed.

SHARE IT: