Saint Roman Monastery Djunis

Saint Roman Monastery Djunis

Monastery of Saint Roman is located in the valley between Razanj and Djunis, close to the village of Morava. The St Roman Monastery as sacral place dedicated to the Annunciation of the Holy Virgin and granted to Ohrid Arch-Bishopric is first mentioned in the Chrisobyll of Emperor Basil II. Monastery got its name after the Saint Roman of Sinai, one of successors of St. Climentus, who was buried here.

Monastery of Saint Roman was in the past also known by name Konicinik or Konjica. By the legend Monastery of St. Roman was reconstructed by the servant of Prince Lazar, who noticed the devastated grave of St. Roman when took care of his sheep. In 1498 there were two monks in Monastery of St. Roman. St Roman Monastery was mentioned in Turkish documents in 1516. In the 16th century Monastery of Saint Roman experienced greatest destruction, to be completely demolished during the Austria-Turkey War in the 18th century. The high stone belfry which reminds of a tower has been built in the South-western side of the Church. The large bell for the belfry was donated by Prince Milos Obrenovic in 1833.

The church of the Monastery of Saint Roman was built from 1793 until 1796 on the foundations of old temple. It has trefoil base covered by the dome on the pillars with the semi-circled apses. There is the Chapel and the gravel of St. Roman beside the southern wall of the church. Narthex has two parts : from the northern part you enter the Church, but from the southern to the Chapel of St. Roman. Monastery Dormitory was built in 1796 and the second floor was added in 1847. During the Turkish conquest until 1918 in the Monastery of Saint Roman operated the school for poor children who lived there as well. The Church was fresco-painted in 1796 and 1831. As per a legend, Djordje Pile who was cured in the Saint Roman Monastery, succeeded to get permitting from the Turkish governor for reconstruction of the monastery church and premises.

 

SHARE IT: