Ram Fortress is located on the bank of Danube River, in Ram village, about 25 km northeast of Požarevac and 15 km away from Veliko Gradište. Ram Fortress is situated on the northeastern side that descends towards the Danube River, featuring medieval ruins of good appearance and condition. This Fortress ranks among the oldest artillery strongholds in Serbia.
There are no historical records on the time when the Ram Fortress was erected, but it was first mentioned in 1128 as the place nearby of the battle between Byzantines and Hungarians. During the period of Ottoman campaign on Pannonia and territory of the present day Serbia, the Turks continued occupation of Hungary. In order to defend the right side of the Danube River, Turkish sultan Bayazed II /1480 – 1512/ restored and strengthened the fortress which was capable to withstand the artillery attacks.
Ram Fortress features base of irregular pentagon, of the longest side 34 meters long and 26 meters wide. Fortress contains 5 towers located in four levels, on 3 floors and the ground floor, 3 towers on the eastern sides and 2 towers on the western walls. You can enter Ram Fortress through the Donjon tower, situated in the southwestern part of the fort. On each wall of the Ram stronghold, except on the western wall which faces the Danube River, there are special holes for canons. Within the walls of the Ram Fortress there are ruins of the structure featuring a proper octagon, whose sides are 3 meters long. Close from the fortress, Turks have been erected caravan seray, what in time provided establishment of the present day Ram settlement.