Pavlovac Monastery

Pavlovac Monastery

Pavlovac Monastery is located on Kosmaj Mountain, in the village of Koraćica, beside the Pavlovac stream, after which it got its name. Monastery was built according to wish of despot Stefan Lazarević. At the end of the 14th century disciples of Rade Borović – Rade the constructor, who was the court architect, completed the Pavlovac Monastery. Monastery was in ruins for about 280 years to be restored in the second half of the 16th century. It was in Pavlovac Monastery in 1690 that the final Liturgy was served by Patriarch Arsenije Čarnojević before the Great Migration to Hungary of Serbs persecuted by Turks from their homes. However, the monks of the Monastery would not have left their spiritual sanctuary and Ottomans assassinated them and burnt and destroyed the Monastery to the ground. Relics of killed monks are specially marked and laid in the foundations of the Church of Pavlovac Monastery.

Pavlovac Monastery was reconstructed in 1967. The Church was built of crushed stones and quick line. The monastic complex of Pavlovac Monastery consists of the church, Monastery Dormitory in the southern side of the churchyard and most probably the former summer residence of despot Stefan Lazarević, in the north of the church. The Monastery is dedicated to Saint Nicolas. You get to the Monastery taking the road from Sopot to the village of Koraćica, turning first right when entering the village, until the signpost for the Monastery itself.
Close to the Pavlovac Monastery there is the Markovac village, where despot Stefan Lazarević suddenly died in 1427. Above the Monastery, beside the road, there is the stone sarcophagus and the fountain dedicated to Stefan Lazarević. Pavlovac Monastery is active male monastic community and monks take care about it.

SHARE IT: