Novo Brdo Fortress Kosovo and Metohija
Novo Brdo is the impressive Medieval fortification in the south-eastern part of the Serbian Province of Kosovo and Metohija which was the site of the largest silver mine and the prosperous economic center of the Central Balkans during the Medieval era, from the 14th till the 17th century. The Novo Brdo Fortress is situated on the top of Mala Planina Mountain, between villages of Prilepnica and Kriva Reka, north of Gnjilane, accessible by the good paved winding road across gentle fertile hills.
The town of Novo Brdo itself was established in the beginning of the 14th century by the Serb nobility of the Nemanide Dynasty. In the middle of the 14th century Novo Brdo became the most significant trade center and the largest mining settlement of the Medieval Serbian state, from where silver and gold was exploited and traded along the region, and also one of the largest urban centers of the Medieval Serbia. Novo Brdo Town used to have its urban and mining status in 1412 as well as the mint, and thus was named in Europe the “Silver Hill”. Besides the Serb population, in the prosperous town of Novo Brdo lived Saxons, settlers from Dubrovnik and Greece and Albania during the Middle ages. Novo Brdo was a metropolis at the time with a huge medieval fortress built on the top of an extinct volcano cone, the remains of which and residential sections sprawling all around can be visited today. South from the Novo Brdo fortified town remains of the Cathedral built by Saxons and Dubrovnik settlers are found that is so called the Latin Saxon Church. The Lower Town was spread east of the Novo Brdo fortress, forming a town settlement with the main town church of Saint Nicholas. In the church 900 graves and tombs have been discovered. The Novo Brdo town Church was dedicated to Saint Nicholas and its beautiful massive foundations are visible today. During the recent excavations in 2015 the new findings within the stronghold are surprising, as the researchers have excavated various artifacts, as the foundations of the Medieval church, and baths etc….
In the outer wall of the Novo Brdo fortress a large cross is visible, built into the stones. The Novo Brdo fortified castle, or fortress, was thought at one point to have dated back to the Byzantine Empire. The Novo Brdo fort was mentioned in the historical documents as early as 1326. During the period of Serbian Emperor Dušan’s reign in the fortress of Novo Brdo there was the mint, but since 1349 coins with the title of the Novo Brdo Town were minted. The Fortress of Novo Brdo contains the Upper and the Lower towns with eight massive rectangular towers. The Town of Novo Brdo resisted to the Turks for the longest period which was defeated from nearby fortifications of Prizrenac and Prilepac until it was finally occupied by Turks in 1455. From that moment, the Novo Brdo fortification started its downfall to be finally abandoned in the early 17th century. Tradition of the Turks of Novo Brdo, and by the general tradition of the Gnjilane area, and especially by the tradition of the Dzinic Family of Gnjilane itself, the settlement of Gnjilane was established after the Novo Brdo lost its administrative and judicial power, what made the Dzinic Family overtook all the administration over the Novo Brdo region. The Dzinic beys /former Gjinoli/ settled in the 18th century in Kosovo from the northern Albania. Its reign became so powerful to had overthrown the other Turkish lords in Pristina and took the whole reign into their hands. The weak Turkish government had to grant their status and granted them the commander ship in Kosovo. In attempt to extend their power, Dzinic beys soon proclaimed themselves the rulers of the Novo Brdo region, after they have executed the dizdar who ruled the kaza, which contained the Gnjilane Morava area. The tradition has it that the last Turkish ruler of Novo Brdo was the Abdul Fetaf ef, who died in 1778 /or 1764/. The Mosque with the turbe /grave/ at the Novo Brdo is well preserved and can be visited. The research and reconstruction works of Novo Brdo fortress are carried out constantly. Visitors of the Novo Brdo fortress are recommended to refresh at the nearby cafe or at the original rural household in the village of Zebince which provides excellent traditional food and present the authentic lifestyle of the locals engaged in agriculture and stock breeding.