Mala Remeta Monastery

Mala Remeta Monastery

Mala Remeta Monastery, with the Church dedicated to the Holy Virgin Shroud, is Serbian Orthodox Medieval Monastery situated near Vrdnik village, southeast from the Jazak Monastery, in the central-southern part of the Fruska Gora Mountain. Mala Remeta Monastery was founded in the late Medieval age, at the end of the 17th century, although there are no exact data on its history. The church of the  Monastery had been built on the foundations of the possible earlier shrine by monks of the Rača Monastery near the Drina River who escaped from there persecuted by the invading Turks. A legend has it that Mala Remeta Monastery was erected as a gift of the King Dragutin. The reliable sources date from the Turkish era of rule in this area, when the monastery was first time mentioned in the Turkish defters -annals- in 1546 by the name of Remetica.

Mala Remeta Monastery possessed its large estate in the 16th century. The Mala Remeta Monastery was destroyed at the end of the 16th century and got its present look in the reconstruction started in 1739 which was carried out by monks from Raca Monastery. The Church of Mala Remeta Monastery is without a belfry, and has been built of stone in traditional style of architecture, found in shrines south of the Danube and Sava rivers, and is considered as one of the most beautiful and most harmonious among the Monasteries of Fruska Gora Mountain. The agreement was set with master workers from Greece “to build the shrine as beautiful as they can accomplish“. The Church of Mala Remeta Monastery with the cross base and the semi circled apse was completed in 1739. Frescoes were painted in 1910 and the iconostasis in the period 1757 – 1759. The Dormitory of Mala Remeta Monastery was destroyed in the Second World War to be rebuilt later. The Monastery of Mala Remeta keeps the holy relics of the new Holy martyr Đorđe Kratovac, who was tortured and killed at the age of 18 by the Turks in 1515, when refused to convert to Islam.

 

SHARE IT: