Koporin Monastery

Koporin Monastery

Koporin Monastery is located in Koporin stream Valley at the foothill of Koporin Hill near Velika Plana in Central Serbia. The Complex of Koporin Monastery includes the St. Stephen’s Church, the bell-tower with the souvenir shop /where candles and other church objects can be bought/, the Dormitory for accommodation of guests, the Economic building, the Healing spring, green garden, vineyards and forests. Koporin Monastery is the endowment of the Despot Stefan Lazarevic /1376 – 1427/, the son of Prince Lazar and Queen Milica, built at the beginning of the 15th century. Koporin Monastery is significant monument of the Serbian Medieval History erected in memory of the victory of its founder, Prince Stefan Lazarevic in the Angora Battle /1402/ and release of his sister Olivera from the sultan’s harem who later become nun.

The Monastery of Koporin is devoted to the movement of St. Stephen’s Apostle relics that is celebrated as the Summer St. Stephen Feast on the 1st August. The Koporin Monastery Church was built during the reign of Stefan Lazarevic in 1415 who wanted this shrine to be his mausoleum. Koporin Monastery was heavily destroyed and looted by the Turks to be restored only in 1880. Stefan Lazarevic’s portrait with the Noble Dignitary awarded after the famous Angora Battle in 1402 is painted in the lower zone of Koporin Monastery frescoes among the standing figures. Stefan Lazarevic was highly educated and warrior by his duty who had commander skills and knights manners, diplomat and one of most dignified among twenty four knights /ritters/ of the Dragon order, very respected within the European nobility. He possessed large library with books and texts in Slavonic language and philosophic works, historical books and poetry in Greek and Latin languages. Stefan Lazarevic was fruitful literate, translator and artist. His best known works are “Law on mining”, “Pohvalno slovo Knezu Lazaru” /The Grave Sobbing for prince Lazar – epic text on Prince Lazar/ from 1403 and inscription on the marble collumn at Gazimestan /place of Kosovo Battle/, while his most significan work is poetic enlightenment of “Slovo ljubve” /A Homage to Love – a poetic epistle to his brother Vuk/ from 1409, which is regarded as one of the most beautiful texts of the Serbian Literature.

From 1932 until 1958 in Koporin Monastery there were monks while after 1958 it is nunnery. In the central part of the Church of Koporin Monastery /naos/ the tomb was found for which it is assumed to be the relics of Stefan Lazarevic. The reliquary with the Holy relics of Stefan Lazarevic is opened twice a year – on the date of his death /01 August/ and the Koporin Monastery feast /15 August/. There are many legends about the building of Koporin Monastery, the tranquil and spiritual place hidden in inaccessible area….

 

SHARE IT: