Kaona Monastery

Kaona Monastery

Kaona Monastery, 100 km south-west from Belgrade, in the vicinity of Draginje village was built as legacy of Ikonia, the sister of Milos Obilic, famous Serbian hero who was killed in the Battle of Kosovo. The witness of the ancient time today Kaona Monastery is rebuilt and became spiritual center and gathering place of the Orthodox population. Since the end of 11th century, when the Monastery was for the first time mentioned, the church was destroyed end reconstructed several times.

Kaona Monastery had school in 1827 and there are some records that testify of the school from 1793. During the First Serbian Uprising Kaona Monastery was hospital. The Church of Kaona Monastery was destroyed in the First World War when the archive was set aflame and church bells were taken away. In the surrounding of the beautiful landscape, nearby the Baptistery building, there is a healing water spring (with water as one of the best quality in Serbia) passing through the monastery field and creating the specially tranquil lakes of magnificent beauty. The present church was built in early Christian stile, the first in Serbia after the seven centuries as a prototype of Baptistery from Theba of Thessaly. In 1992 the 100 years of the new church was celebrated as well as the six centuries of Kaona Monastery.

SHARE IT: