Duboki Potok Monastery

Duboki Potok Monastery

Duboki Potok Monastery is Orthodox Monastery of the Serbian Orthodox church located in the northern part of Kosovo and Metochia in Zubin Potok Municipality, close to the small hamlet of Pridvorica, between villages of Dobrasevina and Citluk. The monastery Church dedicated to the Entrance of the Holy Virgin into the temple is built on the hill overlooking the area. The Duboki Potok Monastery church was built in the 14th century, but looted and reconstructed several times during its history….It was also destructed in the recent time of Kosovo conflict and was again rebuilt… In the 19th century the Church of the Holy Virgin entrance to the temple became the most important spiritual and sacral place of locals of this part of north Kosovo and Metohija, and the mountains of Mokra Gora and Rogozna, and in the Valley of the Ibar River.

The church of Duboki Potok Monastery was enlarged in 1868 when the dormitory was added. The Monastery of Duboki Potok is the only one in Kosovo and Metochia that keeps old precious manuscripts and liturgy vessels : Gospels, liturgy books from the 14th and the 15th and the 16th centuries. The relics of St. Healers Cosma and Damian are kept in this monastery as well as the hand of Martyr Nikita who died in 372, whose hand is highly venerated and known as the Holy Hand. The icon of the John the Baptist from the 14th century is kept here in the Duboki Potok Monastery. The fist school in Ibar Kolasin was established in 1891 in the Dormitory of Duboki Potok Monastery. Nowadays monks take care of this spiritual place of worship.

SHARE IT: