Bela crkva Karanska White Church of Karan village

Bela crkva Karanska White Church of Karan village

The White Church of Karan – Bela crkva, in close proximity of Uzice /16 km/ is dedicated to Annunciation of the Holy Virgin and dates from the period of the reign of the Serbian King Dusan. “The fertile valley and the mountainous back represent excellent combination of life conveniences in medieval times: conveniences for agriculture and cattle breeding, resources of wood, stone for building, bee cultivation and honey and bees wax production, conveniences for hunting and forest fruit collecting”. Živojin Andrejić. The Bela crkva – the White Church of Karan has been built probably on the place of the former Roman settlement between 1340 and 1342 in the Rashka architectural style by nobleman Petar Brajan with his wife Struja and their son and three daughters, of the prominent and powerful family of Rastislalic.

The White Church of Karan village was named after the name of the village Karan where it is located, on the bank of the fertile Luznica River valley, and was decorated with frescoes just after its completion. The portraits of the founders, dressed in festive and rich noble attires are depicted on the north side of the western part of naos, while the portraits of the Nemanjic Family are painted on the opposite side : Simeon Nemanja, Saint Sava, King Milutin and the ruler of that time – King Dusan with his son Uros and wife Jelena /Helen/. Donors and all who contributed to the foundation and construction of the Bela crkva – the White Church of Karan were also depicted. Monumental and well preserved fresco painting of the Bela Crkva Karanska (the White Church of Karan) which were painted by priest Djordje Medos represents significant monumental ensemble of the north western part of King Dušan’s state. The White Church of Karan is one nave structure with the semi circular apse. It has the semi circle covering with the cupola on the round base.

The original iconostasis painted with frescoes of the Bela crkva – the White Church is pretty well preserved. Probably two masters-painters were engaged for fresco painting and tried their best to respond to the artistic demands of the so-called Rennaisance of Paleologue. In the altar of the Bela crkva – the White Church of Karan are depicted scenes of the Holy Virgin with angels and in the naos are the Holy feasts and the scenes of the life of the Holy Virgin, the Old testament scenes and the saints and historical portraits. The simple nartex has been added in the 19th century in the northern part of the temple of the Bela crkva – the White Church of Karan. The tombs of the endowers of the Bela crkva Karanska have been found during the archaeological excavations in 1975 what testify on their wish to build their mausoleum in the church of Annunciation. Numerous Roman graves with relief writings confirm sacral cult of the Bela crkva – White Church of Karan. The Restoration works on the White Church of Karan architecture and frescoes were carried out in 1980.

 

SHARE IT: